Saturday, January 20, 2007

Must resist!

I haven't bought fabric in a long time. Well, a long time for me. I bought some fun cotton prints at the Quilt Expo in October and the last time I bought fashion fabric was September when my sister was in town and we went to Britex. That's not to say I've come close in the last few months. Oh, I've filled plenty of virtual shopping carts and but fortunately I paused to remember the bins and bins of fabric I have and closed the browser window. Right now I have a few items in a fabric.com shopping cart. It's nothing I need but of course I can't help but envision what I could make with the fabric. I'm trying to shift my thoughts to what I can make with all the fabric I already own. I closed the browser window so maybe the cart is wiped out.

I also engaged in some dangerous internet window browsing and went looking at some other favorite online fabric stores: emmaonesock, Denver Fabrics, Fashion Fabrics Club, Fabric Mart. Dangerous. Very dangerous. I don't really know why I felt the need to do that, but I emerged with the credit card intact. I looked but did not buy. However I did buy some sewing and knitting related books over at Amazon. I bought Kenneth King's Designer Bead Embroidery and Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee who is better known among the knitting blog world as the Yarn Harlot. The beading book is not because I want to start a new hobby but because I want to add beads to a rayon top I made to hide where I ruined it with steam. I though I was ok steaming it instead of ironing it and I never anticipated that the hot steam would have a damaging effect. It did. Lesson learned the hard way.

Tomorrow my sewing guild neighborhood group is going fabric shopping. Fortunately I have a hair appointment scheduled tomorrow and won't be joining them. I also willed myself away from going to a 40% off sale on Stretch and Sew knits. I've also not set foot in Joanns or Hancocks since buying supplies for some Christmas presents in December. Such will power I tell you!

I really do need to get back to my sewing. I find that I am most tempted to buy fabric and patterns when I'm not sewing. I think it's because when I'm not sewing I still think about sewing and I think about what I want to sew next.

Aarrgh. Must resist the temptation of online shopping and I must get back into the sewing room!

No comments:

Post a Comment